Monday, August 25, 2008

Panic in the Fridge

Since moving here, everyone keeps asking me if I am having any trouble eating or finding something to eat. Trust me - I have NO problems consuming more calories than I need. I think the food here is great and the grocery stores are generally enormous. As London is such an international city you can find pretty much everything at the grocery store. The Asian food aisle is usually more than one aisle and you can concistently find local favorites like peanut butter, marmite, nan bread and curry sauce in the store. They literally have something for everyone.


Something that is causing me to panic is the fact that food here is so fresh! Normally, people get very excited when they find out the grocery store only carries fresh food so why do I panic? First of all, what the heck is going to happen in the event of a nuclear war!?!?! How will I eat if everything goes bad? I'm going to have to import some twinkies. But the fresh food down side means no macaroni and cheese in a box, no pasta roni - no anything powered! I'm going to be lost without my favorites! The only thing in the pasta aisle is actual pasta and pasta sauce. Strange. The real down side of Fresh Food Land is that by law, everything must be dated and displayed. When I say everything, I mean everything is dated. Stores incur a fine if food is on the shelf past the Display By date. It's up to you to chance the Eat By date...



How can Soured Cream be fresh?




Even my chocolate could go bad!




Now do you see what I mean by panic? Apparently you don't put food in your fridge unless you plan on eating it..... I never thought I would miss perservatives....

No comments: