Wednesday, June 1, 2011

New Forest

Somehow, I failed in this post. We did a cycle and a drive through the New Forest at the end of the weekend and somehow, I only ended up with these photos. I promise a return trip and better pictures.

 On the Sunday after our Isle of Wight trip, Barry took us for a cycle through the New Forest. It was supposed to be a recovery ride, but somehow we were careening along so fast I didn't have much chance to look around. Quite a shame as the New Forest is a lovely area. For my U.S. readers, the New Forest is famous for it's roving animals. Mostly ponies and donkeys who graze about and are not restricted by any fences. Here you can see just to the right and ahead of Paul, a horse having his breakfast. Needless to say, I was quite nervous he was going to decide to walk in the road while I was flying by.


 And on the left.... a pony.  Look kids... Big Ben... or a pony......


 Seriously - that is the end of my forest photos. Ridiculous. Any way, on a small hike out from Barry and Julie's we passed this cool brick house with a thatched roof. I thought you might like to see it's not just for hobbits but for real sized people too.


 More ponies just hanging out. Julie says they sometimes put tinsel around their neck at Christmas.


 No pony this time but something you'd find in Texas. Behind a fence. A really big fence. Not sure this guy liked me taking his picture.



 This guy definitely didn't like me taking his picture and decided to trot off. I had to walk quickly to keep up with him! The nerve.


I had to include a picture of one of my favorite creatures - Hammy. Resident rabbit for Barry and Julie. Tucker wasn't allowed to come visit because of his propensity to want to eat him.


Lastly, (I know this post is totally lame - please google the New Forest and enjoy!), we ended the cycling weekend with a great barbeque. Here, the table is laid out getting ready for the feast.


Barry manned the 'meat' grill.






 While Darran snuck up on the 'veggie' grill.


A fabulous feast all around and Beth, me, John and Julie are all smiles. Big thanks to Julie for feeding 9 adults all weekend. Not just regular adults, but triathletes. Well, let's be honest. It wasn't the food consumption but the beer and wine consumption that might have been hit the hardest. Actually, I'm kidding. Julie did an amazing job keeping us happy and fed.


The other side of the table. Why aren't they as happy as my side of the table? !?!?


Lastly, on the way out, I couldn't resist. The cows made a move and were now hanging out on the neighbors lawn. And that's how they roll in the New Forest.....

1 comment:

Doug T said...

Weren't all those animals nervous while you were grilling?

Anyway, I really just wanted to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I know you're working but I still hope your day is wonderful! I hope to see a post about a weekend full of debauchery.

Best Wishes!

Doug