Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Three Days, Two Museums, Not Bad

I was only in Paris for three days but managed to see two great museums. First up was a nice evening trip to the Louvre. They are open late on Fridays so I had a 'date' with Holly for a quick stroll through parts of this mammoth museum.



When I first came to Paris over 20 years ago, my friends and I got in trouble for walking in the fountain. Apparently we were early pioneers. It was HOT while I was there so most people took advantage and decided to cool off a bit in the water.



However, please don't walk in the fountain. Well, please don't walk in the fountain if you are wearing a business suit. All other forms of dress must be okay.




Inside the Louvre, I actually took more photos of the building/museum itself than I did of some of the artwork. Holly was an excellent tour guide and although we might have been in there for less than two hours, we say some amazing stuff. I think we almost ticked off the top 10 'pieces to see' while there. I was just fascinated by how enormous and beautiful the museum was. Gorgeous columns and marble everywhere. I highly recommend it.



Holly takes a break. Some seriously beautiful work in here including this must see of Psyche Revived By the Kiss of Love.




Outside the Louvre, I actually found this statue a bit unnerving. Too much like the Lord of the Rings and a bit real. Shudder.



With the visit to the Louvre done on Friday, it was then off to a Saturday afternoon at the Musee d'Orsay. Funny, I also didn't pull my camera out much here as this place was mega full of statues as well as Monet, Renoir and Van Gogh works. I was even surprised to see Whistler's Mother on display. Some really cool stuff. I also have to admit, I was quite proud of this photo. The Musee D'Orsay is housed in an old train station. Super cool.



Outside on the roof, a view across the Seine and more giant statues. I really think all new builds should include a nice, imposing statue. Or I wonder if Ghost Busters put builders off of doing this incase the statues come to life?



Bobby and Holly were my museum mates for the day. Enjoying the roof!



I like the fact that we could be right behind the old clock. I just wish I would have gotten a picture from outside for everyone to see the building.



The view from behind the clock and across the river. Another respectable photo!

No comments: