Monday, August 17, 2009

All Roads Lead To...

Rome. This weekend we did another tourist ride and headed to the abandoned Roman town of Silchester. The original city wall still surrounds the town and so we explored a bit while fueling up for the return to Windsor.



On our ride leader's map, it also showed all the old Roman roads leading out from the town. On the map they are nice and straight which is I'm sure why the English don't use them. I'm constantly getting lost in this country because

a. The roads are NEVER straight
b. Usually any landmark is hidden behind some giant hedge
c. The streets change names every time there is a major intersection
d. That assumes you actually know what street you are on because street signs are optional in this country.

The story they tell me is that during the war, the English took down all the street signs so the Germans couldn't figure out where they were going. Since the English already lived there, the locals already knew their way around. When it came time to put the street signs back up - (because you never know when the Germans might come back) - they are fewer street signs and they are placed in spots which can easily be taken down again. Which means, they are put in areas where you can't actually see them from your car.


But I digress. Here Simon checks out the top of the Roman wall. Sorry for the exposure. I was using my new crackberry camera. Had I known we were going somewhere interesting I would have brought the real camera along.

Lastly, I'm flying back to the States for the wedding of this lovely couple therefore the British posts will be put on hold for a couple of weeks. After the nuptials I'll be in Cali for work and then back home again. Tucker is off to the spa (kennel) for a couple of weeks so no dog pictures either. I know y'all are going to miss me.......

No comments: