Monday, March 22, 2010

Alpine Fun - Part 2

After getting my ski legs back with the triathlon crew, my wonderful friend Radhika flew in from Madison, WI to join me in Chamonix, France to tackle the slopes.

The village of Chamonix. No snow down here but plenty up the mountain. It was plenty cold too!


On our first day out, the fog seemed to rise out of the valley below. Visibility was fine... for a while..

Here I am, all bundled up. You can still see the outline of snow behind me.

Radhika finishing up the lovely chore of tightening her boots.

Unfortunately, the snow/fog mix continued to creep up the mountain and we had to cut it short as we couldn't see much more than 5 feet in front of us by the time it finally arrived on top of the mountain.


We made it down safely however. Here I am - waiting for the bus. Exciting, no?

Day 2 was absolutely gorgeous though! Lots of sun and blue skies. We also were able to find some runs that didn't have very many people on them. :o)


Self portrait on the lift. I'm exceeding my dork quota for this post.

Radhika in the middle of traffic. Lots of room to ski all around.


Beautiful runs - the sun was shining all day.


Ever wonder what happens when the lift breaks? You walk up hill in the snow in your boots. It was quite the workout. Ironically enough, by the time we got up the hill, it started working again. Story of my life....

Our last night, Radhika and I join some new friends for a few beers. We have to replace all those calories that we burned skiing. Yup.

I think I may have replaced a few too many as I decided to torture Hugo who insisted on wearing his ski goggles out all night. Anyway, I thought you'd find this picture funny. Hugo obviously doesn't.

No comments: