Monday, September 29, 2008

From Fog to a Fine Day

For those of you keeping track at home, today's musical selection on the radio included Kings of Leon, the Kooks and Noah and The Whale. The commute was relatively traffic free so only a few songs today...

It was a beautiful weekend this past weekend so I thought I would share a couple of photos from my usual wanderings.


To start, the last few mornings have dawned bright and clear. Of course on Saturday when it was time to ride, it started with some very thick fog. Obviously this was a lot more photogenic in person (I pictured a nice black and white with some good lighting) but the camera phone only does so much when dripping wet. I promise a new digital camera is somewhere in my near future.

The ride ended up being a killer due in part to my stupidity. Note to self: when someone asks you if you want to ride in the 'fast' group and you look over and see 9 guys in full racing kits, the answer should be No. Luckily, at one point when I couldn't breathe any more, one of the guys in our group got a puncture (that's British for a flat tire). We stopped to rest and re-fuel and gab a bit. Then Mr. Puncture - who was struggling with inflating his tire - says 'Can I get some help here? Does anyone have any big guns?'. That's funny. Really funny. For those of you who know anything about cyclists, you'll know that they tend not to have the largest upper body. As a pretty smart guy once pointed out to me - cyclists are like a T-rex. Big, strong legs - and teeny little arms. If a guy racing is throwing water bottles off of his bike to lighten his load before a finish, you can imagine that he isn't exactly spending any time in the gym adding muscle on the bench press. Okay, so long story -but I wasn't the only person who laughed at his question.




Later in the day after a recovery nap (oh so necessary) I took Tucker for a walk to get a few photos of the leaves changing. It is pretty, but if you'll notice they are just going from green to brown. You might recognize this path from an earlier post. This is a little further down The Long Walk which starts at the castle.


If you do a 180 degree turn, here is the other part of the Long Walk with the castle in the background.


And here is my crazy dog trying to christen every single tree.

Lastly, I just want to plug a great book I read. I recommend picking up a copy of The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. I've been meaning to do that for awhile but keep forgetting.
Yeah, I know. Not the most exciting of weekends but I can't be at Wimbledon/Oktoberfest/parades every weekend. A girl's gotta do laundry you know... Happy Monday....

No comments: