Friday, May 13, 2011

Isle of Wight - The Ferry

Over the Royal Wedding holiday weekend, I went down to the New Forest and the Isle of Wight to do some cycling and exploring.

Amazingly, I can get to the coast from Windsor is just under 2 hours. I had no idea I was so close to the water. For the weekend, a few friends organized a trip down to do some cycling. So Friday night, I opted for the road trip down to the New Forest whereas others chose to cycle down. (I had to watch the wedding)


We started the weekend off by heading out for a curry. Lots of beer, fun and good friends.



Unfortunately, a curry is NOT the best idea the night before 80 miles of cycling. Needless to say, 'breaking wind' was more than just cutting the draft for someone.


All smiles for our 9AM departure from Barry's house. Barry and Julie were wonderful hosts to put up with 9 visitors for the weekend. Here, John displays how he has had too much coffee already.



After an arduous 8 miles, we hit the ferry for our trip to the island.



We actually didn't do a good job following directions. It was quite fun to cycle on to the ferry. However, I had to include this sign to show how frequently people cycle to the island.


We await outside for tickets. Please notice the very very polite dog waiting at the doors for his master. This dog is definitely not related to Tucker.
More coffee as we wait for the ferry to unload the inbound passengers.


It was a beautiful day and many walkers also came from the island to the mainland. Well, really from one small island to another, right?


What we look like after we set sail.




A quick look at the harbor. You think there are a few keen sailors around?



Darran and Jeeves get a prime table on the lido deck. I'm starting to feel like Julie the Cruise Director again. I head out in search of Captain Stubing.
Instead I find David and we chat while we watch the approaching land. And yes, my posture is horrible!!


Even in the early part of the morning, people are out enjoying the wind and weather.


Our destination - I liked the dock in front and the castle turret behind. How can you not appreciate the history? Honestly, it reminds me a bit of Pirates of the Caribbean. Well, except for the warm air and water color.
Time to disembark so we gather round the bikes to make sure they are still there. It's a bit odd when three of the bicycles are worth more than the surrounding cars.



Value aside, we still have to navigate our way off the ferry. Oh - and speaking of the ferry, funny story. While waiting to purchase our tickets and coffee, I proclaimed to my friends that I thought this was the first time I had ever been on a ferry. A random guy at a table next to me then asked 'did you bring your passport?'. I'll admit, I paused to think about it before I answered. Yep. I'm a little slow.

No comments: