Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Zanzibar - the Resort

Arriving at Zanzibar after my fun plane ride, we found out that it is low season at the resort. Apparently we arrived during the rainy season so the island was grossly underpopulated of tourists. Excellent! And when I mean the rainy season, I mean that it rains everyday at 2pm for about 10 minutes. Perfect timing for a lunch break......


Here is the view from outside our room door. We looked out over the pool and across the way to where Julian stayed. Unfortunately, Julian booked a romantic week away for two with his girlfriend, only to break up with her 72 hours before the trip. He went anyway.. and got upgraded to the honeymoon suite. Yikes! Needless to say, we made his room the base of operations since it was large and had a private deck. More on that below.


The entrance to our room. I spent some quality time reading in the fluffy chairs. My translucent skin could only take about 10 minutes of sun a day.


The view from the pool looking towards the Indian Ocean.



The opposite view from the pool looking towards the bar and restaurant.



Another view of the beach. When the tide wasn't out and I was swimming, I was the ONLY one in the water. It was very disconcerting.




Some of the difficult decisions I had to make while I was there was whether to drink Kilimanjaro or Safari beer.


 
The other decision was whether or not to lie by the pool, on the deck or by the beach. Such fun!



This was Julian's crib. His suite was on a corner so we made ourselves at home on the lounge chairs outside his room.



A view from one of the lounge chairs looking out over the palm trees and water.




Lastly, I'm contemplating my surroundings while wearing my new native hat. BTW - this is the first time I've worn shorts for leisure in about two years. Yeah to warmth!!!!



1 comment:

Doug Thompson said...

Lynda!

You wore shorts for something other than an athletic activity?! That's more amazing than your trip! The trip sounds great. I hope all is well!

Shorts . . . wow! ;)
Doug