Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Island No. 3- Mallorca

For the third island in my travels, I went to Mallorca, just off the coast of Spain. For the Americans, it is a bit like visiting Couzemel in Mexico.


Our delayed airplane. Notice how it is rainy and gray?




Ta -da!!! We arrive to sunshine (thank goodness). England was in the middle of week 3 of rain so I was happy to escape when I did. This is the view from the hotel balcony.



The bicycles also enjoyed the view from the hotel balcony.



Of course I took my bike on holiday. How could you not with this sunshine and these lovely roads?



I even managed a self portrait while riding. I may look slightly like an idiot but the photo worked out so I'm pleased. (Notice how I am riding in front. Uh huh.)



Lovely view from halfway up the climb. It was a good route, only about 45 minutes of climbing in total over the 3.5 hour ride. Not bad.



At the top, the gas/petrol station is converted into a cyclists oasis. I'm not sure I know of another gas station that dishes out so much beer and gatorade.



On the way down, I had to get used to riding on the right side of the road again.



Some 'fun' hairpin turns. I think after this trip it might be time to replace the brake pads on the bike.


My skin is almost as white as my bicycle. Result though- no sunburn after a week in warm weather. Whahoo!



I like this old fashioned photo sign. Apparently this was made before the advent of the Kodak Instamatic.


One of the side streets by our lunch stop. I wonder if the water comes rushing down here when it rains?


We came upon this church set in an old square. I thought it was interesting how they built the church and the tower separately....



...and only gave you one way to get there!

Lots more photos from Mallorca, including the crazy hotel, the lovely beach and promenade as well as the Ironman 70.3 race to come. I didn't race this time, I was just a spectator. It might be the way forward :o)

No comments: