Friday, August 10, 2012

At the Olympics

Serioulsy. The Olympics have been amazing. I can't remember ever being this addicted to watching sports on TV before. I'm going to go through serious withdrawal when it is over. Thank goodness the Paralympics will take some of the sting out of it.


I had tickets to Olympic volleyball. I was a bit uninformed and only knew what day and the venue when I arrived.


This is how big I used to feel on the volleyball court. It is amazing how short I felt again!

When we arrived at the venue (I dragged my friend Holly from New York to be my Olympic buddy), we were told we had to be reseated. Turned out a bunch of other Olympic athletes wanted to sit together so I had to give up my seats for Kobe Bryant. I as annoyed until I got reseated to the front row. Front row!!! It was almost as good as Wayne and Garth and their backstage passes....



My other big surprise came when I went to the board to see who was playing (remember, I got these tickets in the lottery so you just get date, time and venue) and it turned out to be Russia v the Dominican Republic (tallest girl on Russian's team 6 ft 8, shortest girl 6 ft 1) AND the USA v Brazil. Whoop! Whoop!



 Holly went out and bought us a flag because we didn't have an US bling on us. If we were going to be on TV, the least we could do was show that we weren't cheering for Brazil. ( I seriously look like a cheeseball in this photo, don't I?)



The next day after volleyball, where the weather was outstanding, I had tickets to rowing. Unfortunately, I go on the one cloudy/miserable day. At least the rowing was cool. Here you look down to the start of the race. You forget the course is 2k long!


We had great seats, just about 50 yards before the finish. The big screen TV is also just out of camera shot so we got to watch the action and then see the finish. Amazing amazing amazing. I really can't say enough about the fans, the people, the atmosphere. I highly recommend going if you ever get a chance. Go Olympics!

No comments: