Friday, August 17, 2012

Edinburgh - Part 1

I've got some good pics so I'm going to split Scotland into two posts.

 You may recall that I went to Edinburgh to run the marathon. The run was rubbish but the weekend in the city was lovely. I went by train from London and it was a lovely trip.


I stayed in an area called Leithe which had some good restaurants and shops on the water.


It's not every day you've got one of these in your downtown....

Where do you build a castle? On a hill/cliff/defendable position.



Indulging my love for statues, Edinburgh has statues of historical figures everywhere.


There are also a few of these. I had to keep reminding myself that I really was in Scotland (notice how it is sunny - very strange!)




The Royal mile leads from the castle at the top, down to the palace at the bottom of the hill. In the middle is the cathedral so it was equi-distant walking for everyone to worship.



I forgot to mention that Louise was my tour guide (I probably shouldn't be walking all over the city the day before a marathon but how often am I in Scotland?), she took me to this lovely little tea room for lunch. It is famous for being the place that JK Rowling went to write Harry Potter.....


Across the exposed entrance to the castle. No place to hide on this walk to the gates. Unfortunately, it was filled with lots of tourists (I can say that, because I am one)


I'm should try and convince my family to make this the lampost at the end of the driveway.


Trying to get a sense of scale, look at where the people's heads are compared to the statue.


The view from the castle, looking down on the town.



Through yet another portcullis. I was seriously waiting for Braveheart people to come storming through.

Rock walls, narrow alleyways, all a bit medevial if you ask me.... :p

No comments: