Monday, October 5, 2009

Captain's Challenge

This weekend was the Captain's Challenge triathlon for the club. Last year, I just volunteered to help out. But as a captain this year had a few more responsibilities. We had a great turn out for our intra-squad challenge and included a few competitor's clubs. A big thank you to Alex for the photos.



The poor swans just do not know what they are about to have to avoid. Everyone lines up on the beach for the start. This is a relay race where each lap the swimmer must exit the water and tag the next swimmer.

The first wave is off!

If you weren't swimming, you were waiting. Needless to say, it was MUCH warmer in the water than it was on shore.






The men's race was pretty competitive with only a few seconds between the teams. Therefore, hustling out of the water was mandatory.

Tag- you are it!


I can't dive like this. I hope he didn't land on any rocks.


Catch him!



Not sure how Alex got this shot since he wasn't in a boat but good form by this swimmer.



Tucker also volunteered to help out. He's just making sure this swimmer is safe. Safety first!


Race director John is all smiles. Or, there is not enough oxygen in his brain to realize that it is still too chilly outside this morning.


No pictures of me swimming since I only did 1 lap. (I secretly plotted that). But here I am waiting for my final teammate to come out of the water.



Now it is on to the bike and Race Director John shows us how it is done.

Here I am getting passed like I am standing still by the men's A team. Is it because I'm way over dressed? It was windy so quite cold when standing around. I was a big baby and didn't take my layers off before starting the ride and I paid the price. I was one sweaty betty.


Hmmm...maybe I was passed by this guy because of his bike and helmet. Compared to me....



Right. So maybe it's not the bike but the engine? Either way, he passed me like I was standing still so I gotta do some work this year. A new bike wouldn't hurt though....



Here I am just watching to see who is finishing next. Same as with the swim, each cyclist does one lap before the next one goes. I had to do three laps to make up for my non-swim.



Gervase didn't realize she had to watch out for cars AND horses!




Michael is working hard. Really, I bet I could be that fast with the bike and helmet....

No pictures of the run as Alex had to leave - so I'll include pictures of the after party at my house instead.


The kitchen is packed. Not too much room to maneuver.


Yum. Lots of food. And lots of people hanging out by food. ;o)



Tucker is just making sure nothing falls to the ground unnoticed.


Race director John, Ralph and Men's Captain Guy all pose for the camera. Good times.


A little Barcelona reunion - Michael, me, Sarah, Julian, Gemma, Tom



And sadly, all good things must come to an end. The after party, after party cleanup. It must have been good as there isn't any counter space to spare.......

No comments: