Saturday, November 8, 2008

Fun with Fire

November 5th was Guy Fawkes day here in the UK. It's a holiday of sorts (like Valentine's Day is a holiday but you don't get off work for it) where the British celebrate Guy Fawkes' attempt to blow up Parliament in 1606.



The celebrations center around either

1) Large bonfires (as this picture was supposed to depict - sorry, not my camera phone)
2) Burning dummies in effigy
3) Fireworks


The celebrations have been going on for a week with countless firework displays, bonfires and just plane old fun with fire. It's a good thing it is raining this week, I feel for the poor fire firefighters. On my evening walk with Tucker on Wednesday, I passed at least 3 separate backyard bonfire parties. On Friday night, I ventured to a nearby town for a huge bonfire, cold beers, sparklers and fireworks. It was fun - but nothing like the good old Fourth of July....

No comments: