Monday, April 18, 2011

Translation: Fancy Dress

As with losing the plot, I'm sharing another decidedly British phrase for my American friends. In the UK, someone might invite you to a party and say that it is 'Fancy Dress'. To me, that meant, whahoo!, you get to dress up in your nice clothes. Long dresses for the girls, suits or tuxedos for the boys, that's what I'm thinking... Alas, fancy dress actually means 'Costume Party'. Therefore the fancy dress invite generally comes with a theme. 



For my friend Pippa's 50th birthday party, it came with a Hawaii 5-0 theme. Therefore, time to pretend we were in the islands. As my brother lived in Hawaii for a couple of years, I was looking forward to a night of fruity drinks and saying Aloha and Mahalo to everyone.


I wasn't disappointed as the party was a blast. Here I am with the birthday girl. Can you believe this women turned 50?!!? I am signing up for her ageing plan. I'm pretty sure it involves wine and triathlons so I think I'm making a good start.

No comments: