Friday, April 1, 2011

San Marino

It's that time of year again, spring break in Italy. Unfortunately, these posts are going to be out of order as I haven't had time to organize the photos yet. This one is relatively small so I thought I would put it out today. Oh, and I've been told I need a better camera. Even the iPhone was taking better pictures than me!


On our 'rest' day, we decided to cycle to the principality of San Marino. Technically, I left Italy for a couple of hours. Here you can see the walled city on top of the hill in the distance.


A little hazy, but you can see a few of the towers on top of the rock in the distance.


There was a small group of us, only 7, so easy to chat as we putted along.


 Getting closer... This ride was great as it was 90% uphill on the way out, so we took an hour and a half to get there, but only about 45 minutes to get back. Fantastic descent.


 Still on the climb, just on the edges of the lower walls. You don't find this in mid Michigan.


Still on the way up. Love this scenic ride.



Almost there, almost there... notice the walls still extend up? As I'm in the middle of reading a fantasy novel right now, I can easily picture this place being defended in battle. Although the orcs in my novel are pretty nasty.


 
Just about there, a rooftop view with some houses in the distance.


Finally, we stop for coffee with a view overlooking the valley and we can see the water. Excellent! Time to reapply the sunscreen and put on a layer. It's a bit windy at the top.



Chris decides he needs to fuel up with some spaghetti for the race downhill.



A view from where we started. If I was fancy I would put a big arrow at the start, but really, I've barely got time for the blog at the moment. More photos soon, it was a great trip, lovely weather, good friends and fun cycling. I love spring break as an adult. :o)

No comments: