Tuesday, July 8, 2008

At the Regatta

This past Saturday, the local triathlon club organized one of their 'social' events. The group met in Windsor, threw our clothes and food in a car and then biked down to Henley-on-Thames to watch a historic regatta. Apparently this is a pretty big event with the heats starting on Wednesday and the finals ending on Sunday. We were very lucky to secure a spot near the water and spent the day lazing by the water and watching the rowing.



I wanted to show you just how wide the roads are here. This is a picture of Darren stretching across the road. Yes, this is a road that has cars going in both directions.


Here is another one - hopefully you can see the two riders up a head. Again, cars would be traveling in both directions. Yikes!
Now we are set up next to the water. Prime viewing!

Part of the beauty of this day was the people watching. For the regatta, many of the men dressed up in their rowing colors. They all wear striped jackets to indicate what rowing clubs they belonged to and many of them women were dressed up in fancy dresses and hats. I tried to get a few pictures of the gents to show you what they looked like but I wasn't quick enough while trying to be inconspicous. For the ladies, think the Kentucky Derby or Ascot but by the water.



And to prove there really is a regatta, here the Netherlands 4 man boat is rowing against the local London boys.




After enjoying the sun on Saturday I then went for another ride on Sunday. Unfortunatley, miles 5 thru 40 were in the rain. Here I'm trying to get my stuff to dry out. Yes, I know it is July but I thought the fire would help it dry faster. :o) Contrary to popular belief - it doesn't rain here all the time.

That's all for now. Don't forget to keep in touch with me and good luck to the CA folks to stay cool. Funny that there is a 50 degree difference between your temp and mine.....






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those roads are bike paths. How the hell am I supposed to drive my Chevy Avalanche down that? I guess most things I would come across would have to get out of the way.