Thursday, July 17, 2008

I May Live On An Island, But It Ain't No Fantasy

When I lived in Ann Arbor, it was drunken college students who woke you up at night. In Chicago, it was the countless taxis and drunken yuppies. In Texas, I lived by the train and even though I got used to it, certainly it caused issues on some nights. Even in Modesto, I could hear the train from my window. In Windsor, however, it's more than that. Something they don't share with you when you are house hunting, is the change in traffic when the wind changes. On special days when the wind suddenly begins blowing from a different direction (and I believe this is when Mary Poppins arrives), I am treated to a spectacular day of departing and/or landing aircraft. I had no idea how close I live to Heathrow until the other morning when the planes started landing into the wind...




every (JAL)....


1 minute (Luftansa)....


and 30 seconds (Air Lingus).
Really, the photographs do not do this justice. Objects in the photo are closer than they appear. Seriously, the planes started landing somewhere around 5AM, every 1 minute and 30 seconds - LIKE CLOCKWORK. Thank goodness I was getting up early to run - I would hate to actually want to sleep in when this is happening. You truly get a feeling for how international Heathrow really is when you can stand on your deck for 10 minutes and see airlines you never even knew existed.
Okay, so not terribly exciting but more of a warning for anyone trying to sleep in when the wind is coming from the East. Even Tattoo would get tired of pointing out the planes. May the wind blow from the west when you come to visit me. :o)

No comments: